With the graduation of our Kindergartners, 6th graders, and High School Seniors summer vacation has arrived! And so starts to count down to your summer vacation road trip! We've put some tips together to help ensure that your road trip vaca is smooth sailing:
1. Check your vehicle: Anywhere from 1 month to a week out from your vacation, we recommend that you check your travel vehicle over. We suggest having a 55-pt inspection performed, but if you're wanting to check things at home we recommend that the fluid levels, brakes, and tires be the main one's on your list.
2. Clean out the vehicle: To keep clutter at a minimum (you will be spending a lot of time in it!), clean out your vehicle before and during the vacation.
3. Have a flexible plan: Delays are the one thing you can count on with a road trip vacation. Try not to over-schedule your road trip, leaving time for unexpected delays. This can also give you time for spontaneous stops which may end up being the high-light of the trip!
4. Anticipate Trouble Spots: While planning when and where you will be on the road, remember to plan for rush hour traffic or high traffic times.
5. Pre-load electronic devices with entertainment!
6. Gather All Documents: Make sure that you have current registration and insurance cards in the vehicle along with a current sticker on the license plate. Nothing will deflate a vacation more than being in trouble with the law!
7. Check out the back roads: Sometimes you can see a lot more if you get off the main highways and venture off into the back roads.
8. Have an escape plan: If you do set off on the back roads, make sure you have a way back to the main roads mapped out.
These are our top suggestions to a successful road trip. We hope that you all have a safe and fun summer vacation. Traveling with kids? Spend a good amount of time preparing entertainment, snacks and a lot of "pee brakes!" :-)